Southeast Asia is not a mere geographical space with a passive role in the international arena. The region instead has been becoming an active agent to engage in the international political discourse that covers the political, economic, social and cultural dynamics, as well as, security issues.
The image of Southeast Asia as an actor that is capable of becoming an agent, is reflected in the political decision taken by the leaders of Southeast Asian countries to define and to present themselves as one single community, namely the ASEAN Community, and it has entered into force since 2016.
In spite of the fact that the constant debate over the conception of community in the ASEAN Community, the political decision to create the ASEAN Community has fostered the emergence of a Southeast Asian identity not only among political leaders but also among civil society and economic actors. In line with the increase of activities conducted by political leaders of ASEAN member states, activities promoted by civil society are also growing rapidly.
Meanwhile ironically, the level of interest and the number of studies conducted by academics regarding Southeast Asia are more developed outside the region. Specifically, in the Indonesian context, considering the important role that Indonesia plays in the regional dynamics, Indonesian academics and researchers have not given sufficient attention in Southeast Asian studies.
When compared to other countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, the quantity and quality of research regarding Southeast Asia that has been conducted by Indonesian researchers, is still not dynamic. Departing from the need to develop methodology and to explore Southeast Asian studies in Indonesia, the Center for Southeast Asian Social Studies took the initiative to organise the workshops on “ Teaching & Researching Southeast Asia”.
Let’s get to know Southeast Asia! The Center for Southeast Asian Social Studies (CESASS) Universitas Gadjah Mada organizes a three day workshop-fieldwork on the updates of socio-cultural, political, economic and ICT issues. Join us now!
- Developing Southeast Asia as knowledge building
- Encouraging the development of methodologies in Southeast Asian studies in Indonesia
- Building a community and multidisciplinary academic network with a focus on Southeast Asian studies
- Encourage and facilitate the publication of works of Indonesian scientists about Southeast Asia
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Having a strong interest in the study of the Southeast Asian region
- Open to all disciplines
- Committing to participating in the whole series of activities until completion
- Transportation and accommodation during the activities borne by the participants